Monday, March 31, 2008

Is luxury expensive?

The world is getting wealthier and more people are seeking luxury than ever in the history of humankind. In Delhi, there's this luxury summit organized by the Hindustan Times Group currently displaying how to splurge your money. As if the square upon square miles of retail shopping space weren't enough to tell the filthy rich how to get dirty with their desires!

Okay, don't misunderstand me - even I want a piece of the luxury happening all around me (so I'm not squeaky clean myself when it comes to wishes - just that I don't have oodles of money!).

But quite often, I wonder what real luxury is. Does it mean I can buy the watch I feel attracted to or does it mean I can have the time and do what I want to do in that time? Does it mean I can buy the specially designed pillow or does it mean I can afford to sleep as much as I want (the roadside beggar, by the latter count, can afford a luxury I can't)? Does it mean I can buy hardbound volumes of books to decorate my bookshelf or does it mean I can enjoy reading the books I always wanted to irrespective of how they look? And does it mean I can drown myself in parfum (isn't that how expensive labels spell perfume?) or does it mean I can feel fresh in my mind in spite of the stink around me?

(What are "filth" and "stink" doing in a write-up on luxury?! Anyway...)

Is it possible to have both? Can we enjoy an expensive meal with the same taste we find in street food? Can we wear a Rolex without feeling shortchanged on time? Can we wear our cologne without the nausea that often accompanies it in the company of many cologne-clad creatures?

Maybe. I really don't know...

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment